Friday, February 12, 2010

The Blue Breakers night club

"BLUES AFTER CHURCH SHOW"
For years there was a club callled "the Blues Breakers"on south cushman st, Blues Breaker was run the guy named Frank who was a big guy ,hardy laugh and the dumbest buinessman
I ever met.It was also the most fun I ever had because I love dives. The club held about 60 people max. It was right across the street from local strip joint and sundays were the strippers day off. I had a group that played a little bit of everything from classic rock,blues,jazz and even some metal. we did sunday nights hence the "blues after church show" My bass player at the time had a decent metal voice so we could do Priest,ACDC and METALLICA. The strippers loved metal. so as soon as they showed out came the hard stuff.Frand had made this drink called "the Blue Rumbler" I remember you drank it while it was lit.Me and the guys were sitting at bar when Frank decided to give it a try. He lights it up,swallows it down then opens his mouth and out comes shooting three feet of flame! He singes his eye brows and has to put out the flames with a bar towl!The band offered him 50 bucks to do that again. Franks credit was so bad with the vendors that he would have to wait for the first customers so he could have cash to hit the liqour store next door.Blues Breakers was a true late night club so when the city fathers desided to shorten the bar hours Frank went out of business. There are so many memories of good times playing there. I'll share a few here. The stage was all of about 3 inches high and not far from the front door.We were playing one night and this biker comes driving right thru the front door and stops right under my mic. I turn mid-song and shout "Born to be wild"!!! we bust into the intro while the bikers revs up his hog...you couldn't buy something like that.
The Rumblers(my band) had it's own drink. The Mightly Untouchables one of Alaska's best blues bands played there as much as we did. Their leader walks in and goes"Frank whats the deal? Stevie's got a drink don't we rate?".Well Me and the boys sit and watch as the night goes on. The shot glasses began to grow and grow as Frank and the Dog mixed and matched this with that like a couple of drunken mad scientists. By motel time they had come up with something but they were to hammered to remember what it was. There was this one time these 3 "ladies" come in and we were in the middle of a particular hot set. They start dancing right away. One of the ladies could hardly stand up let alone dance. As I said the stage was only 3 inches high. This gal stumbles takes a nose dive head first into my drummers kick drum and passes out. I mean out COLD!!!!. Dave's going "Get that bitch out of my kick drum" we didn't even drop a beat. Her two friends grab her by the ankles yank her out of the drum and drag her across the floor all the while her head is banging up and down. They prop her up besides the juke box and there she stayed till closing time.
There was one time I show up and notice that all the bar stools were missing I ask Frank why we were sitting on lawn furniture his reply"I forgot to pay the IRS so they came an took them away.(he did get them back)
There was a time he paid the band in rolled quarters. It was a bad night. I told the guys"Look at it this way fellas,at least we got laundry money for the next 4 months.I was sad to see that place close. I had some really great times there. Last I heard Frank was a security man at a toilet paper factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment