Thursday, May 6, 2010

Jackson Square

Here in New Orleans down in the Quarter is a square called "Jackson Square". A park of sorts placed in front of a church acros from Cafe Dumont. It is a place where artists,street performers and musicans hang out and sell there stuff. There are several shops, galleries and some very fine resturaunts there as well. One I especially like is Stanley's. I had the best eggs "Stanley" I ever had. Eggs benedict served with deep fried oysters and a sause that was nearly plate licking good. Yesterday I walked around checking the place out from a point of veiw that I may want to do something there. I have never been one to perform on the street. It's really not my scene but having no sucess in finding regular work and recently having sold my first 3 paintings I thought I would look into it. I have begun to think of this as if were a hot dog vendor. Instead of hot dogs I sell cd's music and art. Jackson Square attract a ton of tourists. You can catch a ride on donkey driven carriages that give you a tour of the quarter,you can have a beigent at Cafe Dumont and partake of the world famous muffalta sandwich at the shop where they were invented. You purchase a peddlers licence at citly hall for 175.00 a year. What may make me a bit odd is I'm primarily a musician who has discovered (albeit late in life) a talent for painting. At the square it's either or, rarely both. I have given this some thought. I would have to purchase a battery powered amp,fold up guitar and music stand and a peddle version of the loop station I use at the gallery gig. A loop pedal is ths marvelous device that allows me to play a passage up to 12 minutes long and let it repeat indefinatly. What I do in the solo jazz gigs I play is comp the chord progression of any jazz standard, set the loop and as it plays back I play the melody then solo over the changes. The newer ones come with 30 different drum patterns too so it's like a trio in a box! Getting to the square may be a challenge. We only have one car so the wife takes it to work. I have several painting on unstretched canvas so they can be rolled up. The artists down there hang their art off the fence that surrounds the park,usually on string or bungee chords. I have an old suit case that has wheels that I think is large enough to fit the amp,stands,tip jar and,paintings. I think I can get that, me and my guitar on the street car to get there and have the wife pick me up after work. To do all this is a bit of an out lay of cash I really don't have but the potential to earn some scratch and get a good tan looks good.
I had stumbled onto a gallery that may take in some more of my paintings. When I left I walked down Royal street where it was located and heard this guy playing the clarinet. He was very good. Royal street is where most the musicians hang out and play. I wandered around a bit more checking out some of the art galleries(I found most of the people working there frankly to be stuck up and snooty) as I returned to the square before heading home I noticed the clarinetist had been joined by a tuba player. Big Black fella with a deep rich voice. As I stood there they began to play this very very soul full version of "Just a Closer Walk with Thee"The clairenet slipping and sliding between the melody and counter point. The the Tuba player began to sing...It brought tears of joy to my eyes!...once again this amazing city presented me with a moment,a gift an embrace..As I stood there in momentary worship to God my phone rang..My sister calling from Alaska to see how I was doing. I held up the phone as I put a dollar in the tip jar and shared this moment with her..I am so blessed to be living here.

No comments:

Post a Comment