Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Fathers Farewell.

My father passed away peacefully in his sleep at the age of 85. He was a decorated WW2 hero, master plasterer and the father of 5. How do you sum up the affect that fathers have on you? No parent is perfect. My Dad survived the Great Depression and out lived 12 siblings. What I learned from him in my life has colored nearly everything I've become. What I learned early was the importance of hard work and a committment to excellence. My dad had no patience for shoddy half-assed work regardless of what it was, be it sweeping a floor or building a home. Eric Clapton and I have this comon thread between us. We were both raised by plasterers. I grew up watching my Father walk into a shack and leave a thing of beuty when he was done. He had learned his trade from my Grand father and a string of old school german guys. There was nothing he couldn't do with a hawk and trowl. I took his attitude of excellence,hard work and dependability into my life as a musician. I worked hard at learning my"trade". It has led me down many roads and has been a wonderful life. Choosing that life was no easy task. You give up the white picket fence life for that of a road less traveled. I took a lot of heat from family,friends, girl friends, wives...in the end like my the supreme joy of the work was what sustained me. In the weeks that led up to his passing my two daughters visited him on sepatate occations. At this time Dad was going down hill, not eating much and having trouble remembering things. Yet he told both my daughters how much my music ment to him,how proud of me he was for becomming the musician I was and how even at the start he was always OK with my choice. A wonderful parting gift. Dad had paid a son the greatest compliment once by telling me that I was to the guitar what he had been to his trade..one of the best!. I recall many a time when Dad would ask me to play for him. He'd say "Stevie...Stevie...give us a tune". I'd play and he'd look at whoever was there and go"That's my Boy"..
As I sat next to my Dad's casket with guitar in hand ,feeling deeply emotional to play for him one last time. I reflected on so many times I had done so in my life. As friends and family passed by I quietly played "Misty" for him...one of his favorites. Tears and laughter followed as we all reflected and told stories of this man's life and impact on all. As I left I stood to see him one last time. A man once so full of life,laughter and love now gone to be with God and family..I reached over and placed a guitar pick in the pocket of his suit..a final gift from a son who will always remember..."Stevie..give us a tune" I love you Dad..thank you...

No comments:

Post a Comment