Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Working for a Living.."

As I contemplate a new music scene and figure out how I'll fit in I was reminded of some of my more interesting gigs back in AK. In my book one of the things I am planning on doing is ending each chapter with some gig that I remember. I've played some very weird gigs in my time...native village gigs where you play 8-10 hours without hardly a brake, I've performed for the Governor,Senators and carhart construction workers. But this one was "different" here goes..enjoy.

“A Cold Reception”
One day I'm standing in my favorite wine shop and talking to the clerk who is a good buddy of mine named Chris,when the owner comes up to me and asked me about playing a gig. Nice guy, Hal. He informs me that he's getting married and he wants me and my band to play at his reception. Now do a lot gigs for these guys. In recent years there's been an upswing of wine tastings, and they call me from time to time to perform for them.. What I like about doing wine tastings, is they are an easy gig for musician. A couple hours. Nice people, and and good pay. So Hal asked me to play this gig and informs me that he also wants me to play his wedding ceremony.
I thought this was cool until he told me at the last minute that this would be at the Chena Hot Springs Ice Hotel!(as seen on the Travel Channel) Basically, the ice Hotel is a really large freezer definitely a cool place. It has a sunken bar that serves shots in frozen shot glasses, has ice chandeliers, some rooms in the back with beds made of solid ice and covered in some sort of dead animal fur. There is a chapel there, the problem with the place is this, they keep it in 10 below zero. Now for most people this is not a problem, but for a guitar player 10 below zero can be uncomfortable to say the least! So, I show up and its May, Break up, which means there is mud everywhere. I managed to get my gear and my guitar into the the ice motel after negotiating my way through planks and piles of straw that had been laid down,but the moment I walked through the door and am pummeled by this 60° change in weather. It's 65,70° outside but inside is 10 below,quite a shock to say the least.
Hal had informed me that this would be a short ceremony, but I'll tell you. It was n”t short enough. I'm standing on this sheet of ice, next to the one and only plug-in with my guitar. My amp plugged in and I'm nervous,ice and electricity don't mix. So I begin to play some jazz standards, and a few other things, I notice as people begin to pile in that everyone is showing up is wearing parkas winter gear and winter boots. I'm standing over there in a leather jacket,tie,shirt and boots,Needless to say I am woefully under dressed. So I'm playing along and I began to experiencing numbness in my toes. As I'm playing I'm also see my breath. I keep waiting for the bridegroom to show up. Apparently they are not showing up quick enough. The ice Hotel continues to fill up with patrons, and as time goes on I start to feel my fingers growing numb. And my guitar is getting harder and harder to stay in tune. I looked down at my guitar chord looks like a frozen piece of black spaghetti standing out in odd angles. There was frost on the edge of my guitar amp, and by this point I am beginning to shiver. Finally, the wedding party show up much to my relief. Still, the ceremony is a little bit longer than I would like to admit been involved in. Finally, the I do's are all said, and they exit while I played jazz version of the wedding march. Oddly enough, the entire crowd gave ME the standing ovation, and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Being a owner of a wine store Hal had for thought to have a container full of hot spiced wine right outside the door. And I couldn't wait to wrap my lips on a couple glasses. Being a CPR, first aid instructor of my company. I know the beginning stage of hypothermia, and I was having some. So I unloaded my gear slogged into the mud and went to go play his reception. It took me four hours to warm up, and I was in shock at how tired I was by the end of the gig. This is one for the books. I've played a lot of strange gigs, but I've never been the guitar player at the Chena Hot Springs Ice Hotel. All I can say is if you get offered a gig there make sure it's a SHORT ONE and have plenty of hot spiced wine in arms reach.
Blog ya later...stay warm...Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment