Thursday, January 7, 2010

The interesting world of NOLA politics

As a note, I shucked my first oyster yesterday. Allison and I got a Williams and Sonoma gift certificate for Christmas. We found both a food mill and a shucking knife. I did pretty good for my first try. Happy I didn't stab myself to a bloody mess. I am so addicted to fresh oysters!
NOLA is in the middle of a new Mayors race. It has been interesting watching the local news each morning. I just have to mention one guy in particular. There is this fella named Manny"Chevrolet"Bruno. A former out of work actor/stand up comedian who has run several times. Although this guy is serious, his interview that morning put me in stitches. I love watching the local news show. It's unlike any I ever seen else where. Most places the local news is short and boring. Here they feature a live band and a local chef. Manny starts the interview by comparing a fellow candidate's taupe' as looking like a Chia Pet. When asked why he was running he stated that he likes to travel and Nagin gets to for free. The first thing he would do is put up big street signs all over town with his picture on it to let everyone know he's in charge. Then he would fire everyone on staff at the city and start all over by controlling every part of the city government. The next thing he would do in legalize pot. His motto is "I'm a troubled man for troubled times...and now I'm even more troubled"...he ended the interview by saying he had been in love with the same woman for 8 years..if his wife ever finds out there will be hell to pay!....only in NOLA
Speaking of southern politics...recently Allison visited the Roosevelt hotel. Amazing place,like stepping back in time. In the lobby is a replication of this box that Huey P Long used to take everywhere with him. I forget if they called either the "donation"box,"ballet box" or "suggestion box" basically if you wanted to do business in LA you had to "donate"..rumor had it that there were documents in the box that could hurt the then president Roosevelt. Upon his death the original box was never found. Southern politics like southern presidents...never boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment