Thursday, June 17, 2010

More Tolley tails..

The street car,albeit the "Trolly" has been an interesting peek into the day to day life of New Orleans". The other day I caught the trolly heading downtown to give a cd to a guy I met who may (or maynot) help me get a gig on Bourbon Street. I get on board behind an attractive 20 something lady who sits across from me. I look down the car and see a cross section of the city. Cooks,waitresses,construction workers. Black,latino,white. I wonder "What is their everyday life like"?..what are their hopes and dreams?I wonder..I observe the attractive young woman sits down next to a 20 something guy who is obviously a cook..wearing chef pants and sporting burns about his arms. Wearing a cap,with short trimmed hair and a beard with sharp features..good looking kid. The woman pulls out an illistrated novel.A sort of fancy well written comic book.The kid looks over and starts chatting her up over his love of such work. I'm sitting there thinking "Dude get her number,cuz she looks like a Keeper"..Finally she asks him what he does for work. He lights up and says he cooks. He launches into a description of his daily work. The passion he displayed was obvious to all within ear shot. Sitting next to me unaware was a guy probably around my age,who turns out is a life long chef.He broke into the young guys rant to tell him how much he appreciated his passion and prompted him to ever lose that passion. He it turns out trains all the new cooks who come into the Marriot's resuraunts and gave this kid his number. They were knocking knuckles and high 5 ing. After a few "Amens from me he turns and asks what I do. I tell him a bit of my story and he says this."This is a city that celebrates people like us. First you have to Survive,then you Thrive....then you suceed"...the young chef never got the young womans number but he may have gotten a new step up in his life as a chef...I love this town...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you are writing about such events! You seem to have the ability to make everything you do into an adventure - and a good writing experience! I thinks as the years pass, you will treasure more and more these experiences!

    ReplyDelete